Featured Post

Welcome to Frugowlity!

Everybody needs a hobby, right? One of mine is finding a good deal, and truly it's more of a sport. Some have said barely a week goes by...

That One Time TikTok Helped Ease Years of Back Pain

Health Wise Note: I am not a trained medical professional. Information provided on this site is intended for informational and educational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice. Always consult with a professional regarding your specific health and wellness needs.


Okay, confession time: I'm not actually even on TikTok. But somehow (absolutely by the grace of God) this video by btosteopathy showed up in my feed one day, and everything changed.

@btosteopathy Low back decompression stretch. #lowbackstretch #lowbackpainrelief #spinehealth #learnontiktok #healthtok #posturecorrection #posturetips #healthtips ♬ Love Grows (Where My Rosemary Goes) - Edison Lighthouse

Just in case they really do manage to do away with TikTok, here's the description of this simple-yet-phenomenal spinal decompression stretch:

    • Lay flat on your back
    • Bend your knees, feet flat on the floor
    • Grasp the fronts of your legs, just above the hips, with your hands
    • Push forward toward your feet
    • Hold for 10 to 20 seconds

And that's it.

When I first began trying this out, I could not believe how much my spine would pop and release. But it was also apparently bringing relief in other ways, in part by affecting some old issues. Several years ago, I experienced 9 months of chronic back spasms that led to what felt like scar tissue in my lower right side just along my spine. I've spent a good amount of energy on massage therapy, chiropractic visits, foam roller sessions, and other stretches and tricks since then, but nothing ever made a difference like this simple move.

After a few weeks, I noticed I didn't always feel the same release with this stretch, primarily because my back just wasn't always as tight as it used to be. If it feels tight but won't release right away, I've learned to bring my knees to my chest to stretch in the opposite direction for at least a few seconds before attempting the traction, which often works wonders for me. And while this certainly doesn't prevent every issue, it's been amazing to feel how this stretch has clearly had a significant overall effect on an area that's been pretty painful for years.

That's just my story, of course. You may not be able to perform this stretch if you've had surgery or other concerns, so be sure to consult a physician first.

I'm not sure how I didn't learn this trick sooner, and kudos to this dude for posting, but I am beyond thankful to benefit from it now, and to be able to share with you today if it can help in any way.

Be well, friends.

Got more tricks to help with spine or back pain? Let us know with a comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for being part of our Frugowlity community and sharing your own thoughts and tips. Have a great day!

Most Loved Posts